Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Come and Rest

I’m at a point in my time here where I am just physically tired and worn out. All the early mornings and days of travel have finally took a toll and I find myself at a mentally and emotionally challenging place, since those are usually the next two things to be attacked when the physical is lagging. Yesterday we had a 5am wake up and travel to the capital for a presentation and meeting. After we left the long but successful meeting (God always has a way of honoring the work He calls us to) our bellies were hungry and our energy was fading and yet, we still had another 3 hour journey on the taxi to face. At times our moments of rest here feel like a flash and then we’re on to the next task before us… and it’s easy to continue moving and doing like that because let’s face it, there will always be something that needs to get done or something that can steal away our moments of peace and times of rest. That is why I am so thankful that our faithful God doesn’t allow us to continue in our own strength and unrest for long and he is quick to confront and supply. On our bumpy and tiresome ride home I could hear him pulling at my heart as I watched the sun descend, “Lindsey, the sun is setting on tired and weary hearts who strive and toil without receiving my perfect rest… are you going to do the same? Or can my beauty bring closure to your exhaust and my dawn bring a fresh strength to your heart and life? How long will you carry the burden of the work here without offering me a chance to prove my strength and might? Come, my daughter. I know you are heavy with the burdens of this world, I will give you rest.” So I rest in Him and surrender my striving and agenda that is full and tiresome. Sitting between the two women and a little babe on the bus I realize that despite my physical exhaust, there is no place that I’d rather be than here in His love and rest.

“Jesus was sleeping in the middle of a life-threatening storm. The disciples woke Him because they were afraid of dying. He exercised authority and released peace over the storm. It was the peace of heaven that enabled Him to sleep. And it was that same peace that subdued the storm. You only have authority over the storm you can sleep in. 
If I am filled with anxiety in any given situation, it becomes hard for me to release peace—because I can only give what I have. Authority functions from heaven’s peace.
Even after the disciples got their answer to prayer, a stilled storm, Jesus asked them about their unbelief. For most of us an answer to prayer is the reward for our great faith. In this case they got their answer but were said to be small in faith. He expected them to exercise the authority He had given them to quiet the seas themselves. Instead they asked Him to do it. We often pray in the place of risky obedience. 
Real faith is anchored in the invisible realm and is connected to the authority given in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. The authority to cast out demons is found in rest. Rest is the climate that faith grows in. It comes out of the peace of God. And it is the Prince of Peace who will soon crush satan underneath our feet! What is restful for us is violent to the powers of hell. That is the violent nature of faith."
-When Heaven Invades Earth, Bill Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment